Essential Oils in my Tea with Berry Muffins
I finally got a chance to bake! Summer has me workin' hard! Though today I am still working on my projects, I set some time aside to relax my mind and soul.
Tea time is, what you could say, a hobby of mine. It's something I love to do and respect the art and process behind it all, from the water heating to the brewing to the drinking. I find loose leaf to be healthier and tastier, leaving it loose in the pot while it brews (no strainers until I pour out), and sometimes I add a little drop of sunshine or moon-shine for extra support (aka Essential Oils!).
I'm adding in my recipe for tea and a batch a berry muffins (non-dairy, low on sugar, practically vegan) so you can try it at home!
Brewing Tea (loose leaf):
There are many ways I've seen others brew tea. I find this one to be my favorite! Because I like to change pots, I don't use a "french press" or a "tea press" although that's a great idea! I use a tea pot, simple with no strainer on inside, no bags. To pour the tea when it's ready, take an English tea strainer and place on top of the cup. Use both hands to hold the tea pot, one hand over the lid so it doesn't slip off.
- I heat my water in a ceramic electric kettle (these from Bella are my favorite).
- Once it's done I'll wait about 2-3 minutes until it cools a little, this way the heat of the water doesn't destroy any essential nutrients of the tea.
- While the water boils I put one tablespoon or more depending on your taste, into the tea pot.
- I'll wait 5-7 minutes, depending on which tea it is and how strong I want it. I like strong!
- "Hello Sunshine" Morning Brew! Black Tea, Assam or Ceylon, a mix, which ever of the family of black teas. I like to add 1 drop of Wild Orange Essential Oil into my tea pot while it brews. Citrus Essential Oils are great to perk us up when we're sleepy.
- "Afternoon Bliss" Brew: Earl Grey and Lavender Essential Oil (1 drop into the tea pot while the tea brews).
- "Sweet Dreams, Beautiful" Brew: I love this herbal blend from Mountain Rose Herbs called "Dream Tea." I simply add 1 drop of Lavender Essential Oil into the pot while it brews.
Other Essential Oils I've used with tea are: Lemon, Peppermint and Lemongrass.
I like to play it safe when it comes to Essential Oils. I use doTERRA, I just LOVE their company culture and the way they process their products. Along with my sister, Luisa, I sell them and teach free classes on how to use them.
Yields 12 / Bake 375 / 15-18 minutes
Dry Ingredients to mix together in a large bowl
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe's coffee flour
- 1 cup of quick-cook oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (or substitute 1 drop of Cassia Essential Oil but mix with wet ingredients)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Dry Ingredients to mix in a separate bowl
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2-4 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- Optional 1 drop of Cassia Essential Oil
- 1 cup of your favorite fresh berry medley: Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc...
Mix them together and bake!